Friday, March 14, 2014

Thing 4 Keeping Up


Keeping up has been a challenge for librarians for a very long time.  Learning new techniques to make it a bit easier always appeals.  I approached this Thing 4 with that attitude. 

After a cursory overview of Flipboard and Zite, I spent a fair amount of time exploring Flipboard.  Using it to keep current with library blogs seemed beneficial.  I tried unsuccessfully to subscribe to Best of Publib, Doug Johnson's Blue Skunk Blog, LibrarianDOA, and  NYPL blogs.  I tried this several times.  Though my Flipboard includes 'placeholders' for each blog, no items ever loaded.  I checked several of these blogs directly, and there have been new posts in the week or so since I set Flipboard up.  Frustrating.

Since I am a new library trustee, I searched Google and United for Libraries (ALA)for blogs written by trustees.  Many libraries, library associations and library organizations have blogs, but I found just one post written by a young librarian who works in one library and serves as a trustee on the board of another.

I set up a couple magazines (Ports of Call, Potpourri) on Flipboard and also subscribed to various news, political and technology feeds as well as Facebook.

My conclusion: Flipboard adds one more layer, one more place to check for updates but not enough value to persuade me to use it to keep up. 

A postscript to Thing 3 Utilities...On a recent walk through the historic district in Beaufort, South Carolina, I admired a lovely old home that had a for sale sign in the yard and used RedLaser to scan the QRC code to see the price which was astronomical, of course.  An instant reality check.

1 comment:

  1. Technology--good for keeping up with others, playing addicting games, and getting instant reality checks. I'm glad that you found Flipboard interesting to experiment with, even if it isn't something you'll use regularly.

    Great post! I hope to see more from you soon.

    -Kaia, 23 Mobile Things Coach

    ReplyDelete