Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Thing 3 Utilities

After exploring several of the utilities for iphones, I installed three and will experiment with all of them to see how useful they turn out to be.

RedLaser works easily.  Using barcode samples currently on my desktop, I scanned and quickly connected with Metronet's 23 Mobile Things site and Hallmark.com.  Shopping is not a major interest, but I will try using this app on a few shopping trips over the next couple weeks.

Wi-Fi Finder indeed is straightforward and easy to use.  It identified 6 free hotspots near my South Carolina location though not the one I use most often at a nearby café.  In anticipation of future travels, I checked a few international sites, found hotspots in three cities and none at all on the Aran Islands which truly remain a wild and remote place.

GoogleSearch has so many options and features, too many to fully grasp in a brief overview session.  I read several online reviews, including one on C-NET which said the voice search feature alone made this a "must have" app.  I'll spend more time exploring this one.

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! South Carolina. Sounds warmer than here! I hope you're doing something enjoyable.

    It's too bad Wi-Fi Finder didn't find all of the hotspots nearby. Now that you mention it, I wonder how they find and keep track of Wi-Fi spots? The app description says "[The developer] works closely with the top pay and free service providers in the world to give you the most accurate and up-to-date information available."

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete